Timo von Wirth
+31 (0)10 408 8792
I am a Senior researcher and Lecturer at DRIFT / Erasmus University Rotterdam. Originally trained in Economics and Geography at the University of Technology (RWTH) Aachen, Germany, I completed my PhD at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich focusing on well-being and innovation in transforming cities. Beside my research work, I am enjoying teaching and the supervision of PhD theses as well as giving keynotes for science and practice audiences.
Focus areas of my work:
- Innovation diffusion and co-creation in environmental governance.
- Local identity and the role of place in global, dynamic networks.
- Well-being and quality of life in the digital age.
- Trust and values in long-term change processes.
Main sectors: Cities, Energy, Food, Mobility
Current research projects:
- SIRIUS (Chinese Academy of Sciences & European Commission, Joint Programming Initiative. Read more
- • PDPC knowledge mapping on Participatory Design for human-centered cities (Robert Bosch Foundation).
- WASTE FEW ULL (JPI Urban Europe). Read more
- Smart-U-Green (JPI Urban Europe). Read more
Teaching & Course coordination:
- New economic thinking & social entrepreneurship (Lecture & Case study); Bachelor course: FEB53115 at Erasmus School of Economics, 15 ECTS. Read more.
- Transformative innovation, diffusion pathways and disruptive leadership (Postdoc Academy for Transformational Leadership in collaboration with Stockholm Resilience Center, Leuphana University Lueneburg, Humboldt University Berlin. Read more.
- NEST Method Winter School, KIT, Karlsruhe. Read more.
- Developed and lectured courses at undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate levels in previous positions e.g. at ETH Zurich.
- Regularly giving guest lectures and keynotes for science and practice
I am also passionate about:
Downhill skiing, Surf & Swim, Playing percussions, Improvisation Theater