Roel van Raak
Senior Researcher & Advisor
+31 (0)10-408 8746
Roel van Raak has a B.Sc. and M.Sc. (Ir.) in Systems Engineering, Policy Analysis and Management from Delft Technical University. He has been active both as a university researcher and commercial consultant in various sectors of society that face long term challenges, as diverse as water management, health care, energy, transport and the circular economy. Currently he works as senior advisor at DRIFT, with a focus on transition policies for governments and strategies for organisations to position themselves in transitions.
His research interests are in connecting transition modeling to transition management and applying theory to the (policy) practice. He successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis on long term transition policy arguments (including an application to the Dutch health care system) in January 2016.
Prior work experience
- 2010-2012 Consultant, Viatore
- 2005-2010 Ph. Student / research-consultant, DRIFT
- 2004-2005 Educational staff member, UNESCO-IHE
- 2004 Associated Researcher, department of Technology, Technology, Policy and Management
- 1998 – 2004 B.Sc. & M.Sc. (Ir.) Systems Engineering, Policy Analysis and Management
- 1992 – 1998 VWO. Anna van Rijn College, Nieuwegein (cum laude)
- Roel van Raak, Fjalar J. de Haan (forthcoming / 2012) Key features of modern health systems: nature and historical evolution, in: Jacqueline Broerse and John Grin (eds) (2012), Toward Sustainable Transitions in Healthcare Systems. Routledge.
- Raak, R. van, Neuteboom, J. & Rotmans, J. (eds) (2010) Mensenzorg: een transitiebeweging.
- Roel van Raak (2010), The transition (management) perspective on long-term change in healthcare in Bunder and Broerse, Transitions in Healthcare Systems – Dealing with Persistent Problems, VU University Press.
- Rutger van der Brugge, Roel van Raak (2007), Facing the adaptive management challenge: insights from transition management, in Ecology and Society volume 12, issue 2.