How Erasmus students can help crack your social enterprise’s challenges11 May, 2023
Would you like to team up with driven students in terms of environmental and social challenges like climate change or inequality? The minor ‘New Economic Thinking & Social Entrepreneurship’ by DRIFT and Impact Centre Erasmus (ICE) is starting in September again and we are again looking for transformative social entrepreneurs and sustainability start-ups to participate. Sign up before 20 June!
Wanted: transformative social entrepreneurs and sustainability start-ups!
Do you run a social enterprise and are you struggling with questions like: How can my business model have (transformative) impact? What role can my organisation play in sustainability/social challenges? And what social value does my enterprise create? Then we are looking for you to get involved in our minor ‘New Economic Thinking & Social Entrepreneurship’.
In previous editions, we welcomed organisations as diverse as circular manfacturer Ecowings, IT company IamIT and Stichting Maatschappelijk Betrokken Ondernemen Dordrecht (a local foundation for socially responsible entrepreneurship). They found the exchange “valuable”, “impressive” and “insightful”.
Bringing students, sustainability start-ups and social entrepreneurs together
During this minor, which runs from September 2023 to October 2023, students work in groups of four to six on a challenge brought in by social and/or impact-driven enterprises. The student groups will help your organization address the sustainability, impact or business-proposition challenges it is facing. From a critical transition and impact perspective, students will look for a solution to the challenges posed while applying their (new) knowledge. The course ends with a pitch event together with all enterprises, students, and the teachers of the minor.
“The advice the students gave me is very valuable and usable”
Angela Rooijmans, Ecowings
What do you bring in?
For participating, social entrepreneurs should:
- Demonstrate motivation and curiosity to collaborate with an enthusiastic group of students;
- Share your experience, knowledge and network;
- Commit to meet (in person or online) every 2 weeks with the group of students from in mid-September to mid-November (final presentation)
- be available to participate in an online and in person event on September 12th (matchmaking event with students) and Thursday 26th of October (final presentation/ Dragon’s Den by students). These dates might change and will be finalized and communicated end of August when exact class schedules are announced.
What’s in it for you?
Participating as an organisation will:
- Get you support from DRIFT and ICE to formulate a challenge that you are currently facing.
- Inspire you through the inputs and support of a group of students.
- Give you access materials and resources such as on sustainability transitions, system thinking and impact measurement.
- Allow you to network with other social enterprises contributing to sustainable and just transitions.
About the minor
This minor lets students from Erasmus University Rotterdam and other universities studying disciplines like economics, business strategy, law or medicine explore new economic futures by critically engaging with academic debates around societal transitions, impact and social entrepreneurship. Students are encouraged to reflect on the propositions and limitations of alternative economic models and to be part of an innovative and collaborative learning environment.
How to get involved
Please fill out this form before 20 June. You will hear whether your case is selected no later than 20 July 2023. This will be followed by a call with the course coordinator who will help you with formulating your challenge for the students.
For questions related to your application please contact Mara de Pater.