Masterclass Societal Transitions
18 May, 2020 - 11 Sep, 2020
Do you work on societal change and do you want to boost your knowledge and strategies for transformative impact? Join us in spring 2020 for the fifth edition of Societal Transitions: a 6-day masterclass in transition governance and transformative entrepreneurship that inspires you to drive systemic change from within and beyond your organization.
The Masterclass Societal Transitions, designed by Impact Hub Amsterdam and DRIFT’s Transition Academy, combines the latest scientific research on sustainability transitions, social innovation and entrepreneurship with pragmatic insights and experiences from transition management and entrepreneurial practice. Special attention is paid to issues of power relations and processes of empowerment, including the paradoxes and dilemmas underlying change. Our speakers and facilitators are action researchers, entrepreneurs and changemakers who are specialised in understanding and accelerating transformative change in diverse fields of work, including climate change, energy, agro-food, inclusiveness & participation, sustainable urbanism and circular economy .
Step back from your daily routines to connect with other motivated change agents and gain a new perspective on your mission and role in leading change.
A growing community of researchers and practitioners argues that our societal challenges ask for sustainability transitions: processes of fundamental transformation towards more sustainable and resilient societies. Across society, community initiatives, activists, entrepreneurs and policy-makers are working on innovative solutions to tackle societal challenges and enable societal transformation.
But how do innovations contribute to systemic change? Under which conditions can innovation drive transitions towards more sustainable, just and fair societies? How are innovations cultivated, empowered and scaled? What can we learn when we combine the insights of researchers and experienced social entrepreneurs, policy entrepreneurs and change makers, to set and encourage the change agenda within our own projects and organizations?
The Masterclass Societal Transitions provides the setting and tools to answer these questions by combining state-of-the-art research with deep critical reflection and applied action learning. We provide a diversity of perspectives to enable you to discover what fits you and your goals and to construct you own transition strategy.
During the Masterclass you will learn to:
- Apply system thinking
- Analyze transition dynamics in your field
- Identify relevant actors and power relations
- Recognize societal trends and movements
- Design a transition intervention
- Construct your own transition strategy
The Masterclass is designed for a diverse combination of policy-& decision-makers, sustainability professionals, network leaders, researchers and other changemakers. You represent a variety of fields, ranging from energy, food and circular economy, to inclusivity, participation, health and education, and/or holistic perspectives on sustainable and just cities and regions. You share a strong commitment to being in a learning trajectory that combines intellectual input with active participation and learning from and with each other.
The masterclass integrates a diverse set of modules that combine interactive lectures, guided discussions and participatory exercises. The course consists of a 5-day + 1 evening intensive in May 2020, a final day in September 2020 and intervision webinars and case-study work over the summer. We challenge participants to apply concepts and insights in their own context through a transition case-study and intervention to be experimented with between May and September.
Day 1 – Monday 18th of May 2020 – 09:00-17:30
- Sharing learning questions
- Interactive lecture “Introduction to transition thinking” with Dr. PJ Beers (Lecturer New Business Models for Agriculture & Food Transition at HAS University of Applied Sciences) (tbc)
- Interactive multi-level constellation
- Field trip to local change initiative. (Location to be confirmed. Previous editions included visits to The Ceuvel and the Refugee Company
Day 2 + evening – Tuesday 19th of May 2020 – 09:00-21:00
- Interactive lecture “Transition governance – urban transition cases in Rotterdam & Amsterdam” with prof. dr. Derk Loorbach (director DRIFT)
- X-curve exercise on transition dynamics & intervention opportunities
- Tour of the Impact Hub and 3 social enterprises
- Interactive lecture: “Entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship and ecosystems for change” with Tatiana Glad (director Impact Hub Amsterdam)
- Transition Dinner with inspiring talk & discussion on food transitions (speaker t.b.c.)
Day 3 – Wednesday 20th of May 2020 – 09:00-17:30
- Interactive lecture: ““Shifting power dynamics in social innovation and transitions – examples from energy” – Dr. Flor Avelino (Researcher DRIFT & academic director Transition Academy)
- Power dialogue on power dynamics in your own field & work
- “Experiencing & changing power relations through Theatre of the Oppressed” with Luc Opdebeeck (Director Formaat)
- “Empowerment of people, movements and networks for sustainable & just transitions” with Dr. Flor Avelino & Giorgia Silvestri (Researcher & facilitator DRIFT & UrbanA)
Day 4 – Thursday 21st of May 2020 – 09:00-17:30
- Quiet day for reflection & working on learning question & case-study, incl. reading, writing, walking and peer-to-peer learning.
Day 5 – Friday 22nd of May 2020 – 09:00-17:30
- Interactive lecture: ““Interactive Lecture: Transitions in Action: Daring Strategies to Accelerate Societal Change”, with Marjan Minnesma (director Urgenda)
- Deep Dive: applying learnings to your own work & peer-2-peer exchange
- Synthesis & moving forward: harvesting and integrating learnings and key insights
- Working session: Preparing learning case work in real-life contexts
- Optional drinks & dinner
Intervision Webinars – 1-3 webinars in June, July and/or August (dates to be discussed with participants)
Day 6 – Friday 11th of September 2020 – 09:00-17:30
- Sharing and peer review of learning cases
- Feedback & feedforward into a personal transition strategy
- Interactive Lecture followed by Public Talk & drinks. Speaker to be confirmed. Speakers in previous years included: Marjan Minnesma (Urgenda), Jan Rotmans (DRIFT) and Eva Gladek (Metabolic)
The course fees for the 2020 edition of Societal Transitions are:
- € 3995,- for corporate / government / public sector
- € 3241,- for NGO’s / small organisation / freelance/individual
Early-bird fees (valid when you apply before January 15th 2020):
- € 3395,- for corporate / government / public sector
- € 2755,- for NGO’s / small organisation / freelance/individual
The course price includes full participation, lunches, drinks and one dinner. Upon successful completion of the course participants will be granted a certificate from DRIFT Transition Academy, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
*All prices listed are excluding VAT of 21%.
Registration proceeds via our online registration form. Early Bird fees are applicable up until the 15th of January.
The course takes place in and around the vibrant Impact Hub Amsterdam, located in the city of Amsterdam, home to many creative, cultural and innovative entrepreneurs. For more information on the directions, look at www.amsterdam.impacthub.net/contact
Please get in touch with course coordinator Giorgia Silvestri if you would like more information or have any questions.