ACTION Open Call: Citizen Science Projects on Pollution9 September, 2019
ACTION is looking for new and ongoing citizen science projects related to any form of pollution in Europe and worldwide. Successful applicants will receive €20,000 to help deliver a six-month pilot with the help of the ACTION team. Do you want to grow your project’s impact? Apply to the ACTION Open Call!
No single lab, government or initiative can solve the environmental pollution problem on its own. It also needs citizen science projects to co-design, experiment with, and evaluate novel methodologies and resources. That is why ACTION supports citizen science projects working on pollution of all kinds, such as water, air or light pollution. IGB will be coordinating the ACTION Accelerator, which provides support to develop and grow a citizen science project. This includes intensive training in project design, mentoring for project pilots and beyond, and consultancy on a diverse range of common citizen science challenges such as data management.
Now, ACTION is seeking applications from new or ongoing citizen science projects working on pollution. The call is open till 31st October 2019. Successful applicants will receive 20,000 € to help deliver a six-month pilot with the support of the ACTION team. The funding can be spent on salaries, equipment, consumables, travel, subcontracting to other entities, and indirect expenditure (calculated as 25% of the total direct costs), in accordance with Horizon 2020 guidelines.
This call is for:
- ongoing citizen science projects looking for support, financial and otherwise, to grow and become sustainable;
- scientists seeking to resource a new citizen science project;
- communities interested in co-designing research into pollution in any relevant discipline, from biodiversity and environmental sciences to astronomy and the humanities;
- organisations in the public, private and third sectors exploring the use of citizen science in their work.
In addition, ACTION will offer a set of services, tailored to the needs of each citizen science project, including:
- Intensive training at the start of the accelerator on: project design, citizen engagement, data management and preservation, funding and sustainability;
- Online mentoring during the pilot and beyond;
- Tools and infrastructure to host projects and their data according to state of the art IT practices in your discipline;
- Tools and methods to facilitate participatory data collection and analysis;
- Bespoke consultancy on a diverse set of citizen science challenges, including:
- data quality, data preservation, GDPR, research ethics, motivating participation, citizen empowerment, EDI (equality, diversity, inclusion), public engagement, and impact;
- Promotion via news on the ACTION website and on social media, as well as presentation opportunities at the ACTION conference and other related events;
- Peer learning and networking, facilitated through workshops and online tools.
Do you want to apply for the open call? Learn more about the ACTION Open Call details and apply here!
More participatory, inclusive, citizen-led: ACTION will transform the way we do citizen science and create methodologies, tools and guidelines to democratize the scientific process. Read more about ACTION at our project page.